Whether you have been required to pass accounts, or had to advise someone in this area, passing of accounts requires complex and multi-part considerations. You need to understand the idiosyncrasies and common errors in this area in order to have a successful Wills and Estates practice.
Over one intensive evening, our expert faculty will teach you how to effectively manage and advise on passing of accounts, compensation and fiduciary accounting issues. You will learn the latest case law updates, and will benefit from hands-on exercises where you will review sample estate accounts.
You will learn:
- Passing of Accounts: The Basics
– Circumstances when accounts need to be passed
– Jurisdiction to pass accounts
– Relevant limitation periods to consider
– Procedure and rules for passing accounts of: Guardian of Property – Incapable person; Guardian of Property- Minor; Attorneys for Property; Estate Trustees and Trustees
– Uncontested vs. contested court passings
– Remedies for the failure to account
– Procedural requirements and jurisdictional idiosyncrasies in Passings of Accounts
– Case law update
- Overview of Compensation
– Compensation for Estate Trustees
– Compensation for Guardians and Attorneys
- The Office of the Children’s Lawyer and the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee in Reviewing Accounts: their role, review process and common objections
– What the Office of the Children’s Lawyer and the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee look for when reviewing accounts
– Common Objections made by the Children’s Lawyer and the OPGT
- Reviewing Accounts: What Lawyers Need to Look For
– Guidelines for distinguishing between income and capital
– How to conduct a thorough analysis- which numbers need to add up where?
– Common errors to watch out for
– What qualifies as inadequate accounting?
- Kimberly Whaley, WEL Partners
- Katherine Antonacopoulos, Office of the Children’s Lawyer
- Heather Hogan, Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
- Ian Hull, Hull & Hull LLP
- Albert Oosterhof, WEL Partners
- Tracey Phinnemore, WEL Partners
Group Discounts and Financial Assistance
Please note that the group discount is only available when paying for members of the same organization, at the same time, and payment is made with one invoice. For financial assistance, please email email@example.com
Webcast Fee per Delegate
2-3 delegates: 25% off program fee
4-10 delegates: 30% off program fee
11+ delegates: 35% off program fee
Boardroom rates available.
The video stream will be sent to you via email as soon as payment is successfully processed.
All sales are final. Please make all enquiries related to program content and CPD/MCLE credit hours prior to purchase.
Have a question? Read our FAQs.
In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.