Medical and recreational cannabis and its use by staff and students is a new(er) challenge for teachers, school administrators and school boards. This session will provide current and concise information on the law and risk management issues that must guide your actions.
Bringing together educational, legal, health care, law enforcement and other professionals to provide guidance on legal obligations and best practices in dealing with this evolving area. Topics will include:
- The applicable laws around the use of both medical and recreational cannabis by staff and students in schools
- What is legal vs. what is not – dispelling any misconceptions
- What are the different forms of cannabis that can be used? For what purpose? Medical vs. recreational
- The applicable medical documentation and paperwork that needs to be submitted
- Questions around storage, possession limits, administration and minimum ages will be discussed
- The impact on schools with the introduction of legal recreational use of cannabis – student and staff expectations and discipline
- Duty to accommodate issues – staff and student
- Wendy Lopez, Counsel, Catholic Principals’ Council Ontario (CPCO)
- Nicola Simmons, Keel Cottrelle LLP
- Wayne Baker, Superintendent of Education, Grand Erie District School Board
- Mary Birdsell, Executive Director, Justice for Children and Youth
- Dr. Darren Courtney, Researcher, Cundill Centre for Child and Youth Depressions; Staff Psychiatrist, Youth Addictions and Concurrent Disorders Service, CAMH
- Giovanna Di Sauro, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP
- Melanie Herbin, Counsel, Ministry of the Attorney General, Civil Law Division, Education/Training, Colleges and Universities Branch
- Jessica Koper, Shibley Righton LLP
- Chris McGrath, BA, Med, Vice-President, Student Success, George Brown College
- Dr. Sharon Pyke, Superintendent of Education, Greater Essex County
District School Board
- Emma Rhodes, Lawyer
- Stephanie Strong, CHRL, Superintendent of Human Resources and Employee Relations, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
- Mandy Wojcik, Goldblatt Partners
Group Discounts and Financial Assistance
Please note that the group discount is only available when paying for members of the same organization, at the same time, and payment is made with one invoice. For financial assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Webcast Fee per Delegate
2-3 delegates: 25% off program fee
4-10 delegates: 30% off program fee
11+ delegates: 35% off program fee
Boardroom rates available.
The video stream will be sent to you via email as soon as payment is successfully processed.
All sales are final. Please make all enquiries related to program content and CPD/MCLE credit hours prior to purchase.
Have a question? Read our FAQs.
In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com for assistance.