This one day, ground-breaking OsgoodePD program will explore the crossroads of mental health and criminal justice from the challenges facing police when dealing with mentally ill persons, through the criminal process, the use of the not criminally responsible defence, to litigation before the Review Board.
A truly expert faculty from across Canada, with representation from the judiciary, Review Board, legal profession, academia, policing community and the fi eld of psychiatry and psychology, will
explore the essential and emerging issues, including:
- Challenges and responses involving policing and mentally ill persons; the use of mobile crisis units, pre-charge diversion, vulnerable persons registries and other criminal justice system entry point challenges
- Overcoming stereotypes and public prejudice involving the NCR defence
- Latest hot button issues before the Courts and Review Boards
- Examining the impact of the NCR Reform Act on the legal landscape including use of high risk accused designations and plea negotiations
- Joan Barrett, Deputy Director, Crown Law Office-Criminal, Ministry of the Attorney General (Ontario)
- The Hon. Justice Riun Shandler, Ontario Court of Justice
- The Honourable Frank Iacobucci, CC, Retired Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
“Lessons Learned from Police Encounters with People in Crisis”
- Janice Blackburn, Bersenas Jacobsen Chouest Thomson Blackburn LLP Barristers Solicitors
- Inspector Chris Boddy, Toronto Police Service
- Dr. John Bradford, Forensic Mental Health, The Royal Ottawa, Brockville Mental Health Centre
- Tania Breton, Justice Lead, CAMH (Ottawa)
- Gregory Brodsky, QC, Brodsky & Company, Barristers
- Sarah Burtenshaw, Mental Health Worker, Crisis Outreach and Support Team
- Gina Clark, Regional Implementation Coordinator, CAMH (Northwest Region – Kenora Rainy River District)
- Professor Steve Coughlan, Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University
- Margaret Creal, Chair, Consent and Capacity Board, Ontario
- Erin Dann, Di Luca Barristers
- Michael Davies, Foord Davies LLP
- The Hon. Justice Peter DeFreitas, Associate Chief Justice, Ontario Court of Justice
- Michael Feindel, Crown Coordinator, Ontario Review Board, Ministry of the Attorney General (Ontario)
- Dr Janelle Hawes, Lead Manager Forensic Services, SAYC – Kinark Child and Family Services
- Lyle Hillaby, Crown Counsel, British Columbia Ministry of Justice and Attorney General
- Shayne Kert, Alternate Chair, Consent and Capacity Board Ontario
- Dr. Philip Klassen, Vice-President, Medical Services, Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
- Christine McGoey, Retired Crown Attorney, Ministry of the Attorney General (Ontario)
- The Hon. Justice Heather Perkins-McVey, Ontario Court of Justice
- JoAnn Miller-Reid, Assistant Deputy Minister, Youth Justice Services, Ministry of Children and Youth Services (Ontario)
- Robert S. Richardson, Barrister
- The Hon. Justice Gary Trotter, Ontario Superior Court of Justice
Please note that the group discount is only available when paying for members of the same organization, at the same time, and payment is made with one invoice.
Webcast Fee per Delegate
2-3 delegates: 25% off program fee
4-10 delegates: 30% off program fee
11+ delegates: 35% off program fee
Boardroom rates available.
The video stream, including link to program materials will be sent to you via email as soon as payment is successfully processed.
All sales are final. Please make all enquiries related to program content and CPD/MCLE credit hours prior to purchase.
In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com for assistance.