In 2015, long-term care operations continue to face increasing scrutiny by regulators and the public alike. Issues of if and how to accommodate end of life requests, use of restraints, video surveillance, and navigating the intricate regulatory regime of long-term care are complex challenges for professionals working in and for long-term care facilities.
This program, designed and delivered by some of Canada’s top experts in this field, will provide you with the critical information and practical strategies you need to confidently manage risk.
- Advance care planning and informed consent to treatment – why you can’t have one without the other
- Negotiating with Community Care Access Centers on admission and discharge issues
- Distinguishing between chemical restraints and medical treatment
- Developing and implementing end of life policies and procedures
- What to do when a residents’ care needs exceed the capabilities of the long-term care facility
- Differentiating responsive and predatory/targeted behaviors: What and why you need to know
- Best practices for preventing and responding to privacy breaches
- Katheryn Frelick, Miller Thomson LLP
- Frank Cerrone, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Revera Inc.
- Ruth Chalmers, Vice President Operations, Sienna Senior Living
- Kathryn M. Frelick, Miller Thomson LLP
- David M. Golden, Torkin Manes LLP
- Shelley M. Hobbs, Counsel, Intake and Guardianship Services, Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
- Dr. Nadia Incardona, Hospitalist and Emergency Physician, Toronto East General Hospital
- Jane E. Meadus, Staff Lawyer, Institutional Advocate, Advocacy Centre For the Elderly
- Dr. Andrea Moser, Associate Medical Director, Apotex Centre, Baycrest Health Sciences
- Mary Nestor, Senior Manager, Compliance & Enforcement, Performance Improvement and Compliance Branch, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Susan Nickle, General Counsel, London Health Sciences Centre
- Debbie Taciuk, Supervisor, Client Services – Placement, Central Community Care Access Centre
- Marc Toppings, General Counsel, Sinai Health System
- Judith A. Wahl, Executive Director, Advocacy Centre For the Elderly
2015 Guide to Legal Risk Management in Long-Term Care
Original Date: September 28, 2015
Registration and Continental Breakfast
Introduction from the Chair
Regulatory Compliance and the RQI: Where we are in 2015
Mary Nestor, Senior Manager, Compliance & Enforcement, Performance Improvement and Compliance Branch, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
David M. Golden, Torkin Manes LLP
- Resident Quality Inspections
- overall results and top 10 areas of non-compliance
- Critical incidents and follow-up inspections
- how many? What types of critical incidents have been reported?s
- Trends of non-compliance and critical incidents in Ontario
- Appeal process – licensees’ rights of appeal and review of a compliance order
Managing Challenges in Admissions, Discharges and Appropriate Placements
David M. Golden,Torkin Manes LLP
Debbie Taciuk, Supervisor, Client Services – Placement, Central Community Care Access Centre
- Problems and pitfalls when transferring a patient from a hospital to a long-term care facility
- Grounds for denying an application of admission to long-term care – how to negotiate effectively with Community Care Access Centers
- Mechanisms for discharging a resident when care needs or behavioral issues become unmanageable
Dealing with Responsive Behaviors and Intentional Resident-to-Resident Abuse
Ruth Chalmers, Vice President Operations, Sienna Senior Living
Marc Toppings, General Counsel, Sinai Health System
- Criminal versus non-criminal behaviors and assaults – where is the line and who decides?
- When do you need to call the police? When and how to engage justice partners
Critical Issues in the use of Restraints, Detention and Locked Units
Jane E. Meadus, Staff Lawyer, Institutional Advocate, Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
Dr. Andrea Moser, Associate Medical Director, Apotex Centre, Baycrest Health Sciences
- What is a restraint?
- Chemical restraints versus medical treatment – where is the line?
- Identifying and implementing the least restrictive restraint to manage behavioral issues
Current and Emerging Privacy Issues in LTC – Video Surveillance, Social Media and Email
Kathryn M. Frelick, Miller Thomson LLP
- Managing social media – how to develop, enforce and audit policies and procedures to maintain confidentiality
- Surviving a breach – how to respond and protect your facility from liability
Conducting and Managing Investigations
Frank Cerrone, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Revera Inc.
- Post- incident response: preventing and responding to potential legal issues
- Best practices for internal investigation processes and strategies, including creating a participatory environment
Health Care Consent, Advance Care Planning and End of Life Decisions in the Wake of Carter
Judith A. Wahl, Executive Director, Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
Susan Nickle, General Counsel, London Health Sciences Centre
Dr. Nadia Incardona, Hospitalist and Emergency Physician, Toronto East General Hospital
- Best practices in informed consent and advance care planning
- threshold issues – assessment of capacity and consent
- who should consent and why?
- can facilities require residents to execute a POA or other advance care plans?
- advance care plan “wishes”
- Discharging end of life wishes – who is responsible if a physician is not present?
2-3 delegates: 25% off archived program fee
4-10 delegates: 30% off archived program fee
11+ delegates: 35% off archived program fee
Boardroom rates available.
The video stream, including link to program materials will be sent to you via email as soon as payment is successfully processed.
All sales are final. Please make all enquiries related to program content and CPD/MCLE credit hours prior to purchase. In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com for assistance.