Apply for your OsgoodePD Professional LLM in 3 steps.
Below you’ll find information on applying to LLM Degree programs through the York University application portal. We encourage applicants to apply early to our LLM programs as the OsgoodePD Admissions Committee meets regularly to review completed files.
For a detailed LLM application checklist and application instructions, Click Here.
If you’re interested in applying for Single Course Enrollment, you can find instructions on how to apply here.
Complete all sections of the Application Form. Incomplete forms will delay the processing of the application. Please use the same spelling of your full name on all forms. The University will communicate with you by email, so ensure you input your email address correctly.
On the ‘Goal of Study’ section, select:
- The term in which your specialization is scheduled to begin
- Part Time Studies or Full Time Studies*
- “I wish to study toward a degree.”
- Under the Degree Selection list a pop-up box will appear. Enter ‘LLM’ in the Search all Columns box on the top right corner.
- Select the specialization you wish to apply to
At the end of your application form, there will be a required non-refundable $100 CAD application fee. Refused credit card charges automatically halt processing of the application.
A few days after your complete your online application form and pay the $100 CAD application fee, you will receive an automated email from York University providing you with your 9-digit York University Identification Number and your Myfile profile access.
Our office will also be emailing you approximately 3-5 business days after you apply online and pay your application fee, and we will provide you application information and the link to the required supplementary form (details provided in the supplementary form section below.
Upload an up-to-date resume/CV to your Myfile profile. If you have been called to the bar please indicate the year and jurisdiction.
Applicants are required to upload a writing sample which best demonstrates your preparedness for graduate-level academic research and writing to your Myfile profile. While what you choose to use as a writing sample is up to you, the following are acceptable writing samples:
ACCEPTABLE WRITING SAMPLES:
- An academic paper (a good choice if you have recently or are currently enrolled in an academic program)
- A memorandum or factum (if you have been out of school for several years)
- If you don’t have one of the above, you can write a 5-10 page research paper on a legal subject you’re interested in
UNACCEPTABLE WRITING SAMPLES:
- Unresearched opinion piece
- Co-authored papers/documents
- Non-analytical summary of law
- Court pleading or form
- Other legal documents
Provide TWO completed Recommendation Forms from referees who can assess your academic potential to complete the LLM successfully. You can choose from the following options to do so:
Option A: Add your referee names and contact information to your MyFile profile:
- Log into MyFile;
- Click on “Supplementary Information Form”;
- Click on the red link “Fall 2019 application – Program in Faculty Of Graduate Studies, LL.M., [Your Program Name] – FGS Referee Information Form”;
- Fill out the fields as prompted. An email will then be sent to the referee with a link to the online form that they must complete. Once the referee submits the webform, it will automatically be added to the applicant profile.
Option B: You may use this Recommendation Form. Your referees may submit a letter in addition to the required form. Completed forms must be sent to York University per the instructions on the Form. This option will take 10-15 business days from the date received at York University to be posted to the applicant profile.
Upload full and complete copies of your transcripts from every university where a grade was received for course(s) completed and/or a degree was earned to your MyFile profile.
PREVIOUS YORK STUDENTS:
If you have taken courses at York University in the past, we will obtain York University Transcripts on your behalf. Please provide your York student number with the application and ensure that you have no outstanding fees, so that your transcript can be released.
You must submit final official transcripts received in university envelopes sealed by the issuing university to the address below.
Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box GA2300
4700 Keele Street
CANADA M3J 1P3
Office of Graduate Admissions
W322 Bennett Centre for Student Services
4700 Keele Street
CANADA M3J 1P3
Important Notes About Transcripts
- Transcripts from WES, NCA or other credential evaluation services are NOT considered official and will not be accepted.
- To be considered ‘official’ transcripts must be received in envelopes sealed by the issuing institution. Photocopied or faxed transcripts will not be considered official.
- To be considered ‘final’ transcripts must indicate that your degree has been conferred.
- If transcripts are in another language (and your University does not issue translated copies), an official English translation by a certified translator is required. Translations must be received (see address above) in envelopes sealed by the certified translator.
- Any mailed documents received at York University Admissions may take 10-15 business days to be posted to the applicant profile.
**Submitted transcripts become the property of York University and will not be returned.
1. The supplementary form is available at https://webform.osgoode.yorku.ca/view.php?id=251238.
2. Once you complete the Supplementary form you will receive an auto-email with the PDF of your form. You will need to upload the PDF to your Myfile profile.
The link to the supplementary form will also be included in the confirmation of application receipt email you receive from OPD after you apply online.
**The form will allow you the opportunity to provide any details not otherwise mentioned in the application, outlining why you are interested in the program, how your past studies and/or professional experience have prepared you for the program and what you hope to do after graduation, as well as any issues regarding your application which you wish to address (ie low grades).
If your first language is not English, you must show you have an acceptable level of English by completing a language proficiency test.
If you have completed at least ONE year of full time study at an accredited university where English is the ONLY official language of instruction at the institution level (not only the program level), you will not be required to provide a language test.
Please visit our website for details regarding language proficiency requirements.
Only official results must be submitted to York University Graduate Admissions. (Copies are not accepted). Results submitted by mail must be sent to the address provided in the transcript section above. Electronic result submission is permitted if received directly from the issuing test centre (ex. IELTS, TOEFL).
The Osgoode Review Committee meets regularly to review only completed files. The majority of decisions will be issued after the deadline.
If you’re contacted for more information:
The university will update your Myfile if you are required to provide more information or documents. Letters issued to applicants are posted on your Myfile profile under Communication History.
Once a decision is issued:
Our Admission team will be in contact via email to provide you with the details and the next steps in your application process.
Tuition, Fees & Awards