With 96% of civil cases settling before judgement, it’s critical to maximize your understanding of key settlement issues and techniques. Building on the success of last year’s program, Successful Settlements 2017 drills down further into creative settlement approaches while updating the law in the areas that most directly affect the settlement process.
Topics will include:
- Significant recent law with potential to impact mediation, confidentiality of settlements, med/arb, and enforcement of settlements
- The relationship between the litigation timeline and the opportunities for settlement presented at each stage
– How does the pursuit of settlement influence the timing and manner in which you draft pleadings?
– When should you deliver an offer to settle and for how long should it remain open?
- Technological aids to settlement: the five things you should consider doing now
- How alternative fee structures and retainer agreements impact settlement discussions
- What to do when the client has unrealistic expectations or loses interest?
- Settlement and the contingency fee or underfunded non-contingency-fee retainer
- The potential contribution of less conventional approaches, including: med-arb, med and arb clauses in business agreements, expedited arbitration, early neutral evaluation, informal settlement meetings, etc.
- Great moments in settlement strategy, why they worked, and what you can borrow from them.
- The latest on avoiding pitfalls in drafting offers and minutes of settlement – including tactics and strategies to maximize the value of Rule 49.
- What clients really want from the process, and how to give it to them: a multidisciplinary panel’s perspectives and advice.
- Paul Neil Feldman, Feldman Lawyers
- Mitchell Rose, Stancer Gossin Rose LLP
- Caroline E. Abela, WeirFoulds LLP
- Hermie Abraham, Advocation Professional Corporation
- The Hon. Justice Todd Archibald, Superior Court of Justice (Ontario)
- Robert B. Bell, Lerners LLP
- Yonni Fushman, Vice-President and Deputy General Counsel Aecon Corp.
- Frank K. Gomberg, Gomberg Mediation Solutions Inc.
- Eric Gossin, Stancer Gossin Rose LLP
- Paul M. Iacono, Q.C., Beard Winter LLP & YorkStreet Dispute Resolution Group Inc.
- Mana Khami, Harrison Pensa LLP
- Jessica Kimmel, Goodmans LLP
- Clifford Lax, Lax O’Sullivan Lisus Gottlieb LLP
- Lisa C. Munro, Lerners LLP
- Andrea Sanche, Ricketts, Harris LLP
- Nancy Shapiro, Koskie Minsky LLP
- Jason Singer, Singer Kwinter
- David J. Smagata, LL.M., Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, DAS Canada
- Lisa Stam, Koldorf Stam LLP
- Oscar Strawczynski, Feldman Lawyers
- Mary A. Teal, Hughes Amys LLP
- Moira Visoiu, Law Firm of Moira Visoiu
Please note that the group discount is only available when paying for members of the same organization, at the same time, and payment is made with one invoice.
Webcast Fee per Delegate
2-3 delegates: 25% off program fee
4-10 delegates: 30% off program fee
11+ delegates: 35% off program fee
Boardroom rates available.
The video stream, including link to program materials will be sent to you via email as soon as payment is successfully processed.
All sales are final. Please make all enquiries related to program content and CPD/MCLE credit hours prior to purchase.
Have a question? Read our FAQs.
In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.