If you’re looking for a program that will provide you with the legal terminology, language and writing skills you need to succeed in legal graduate studies or in your legal professional career in Canada, the intensive program at York University’s English Language Institute is designed with you in mind. Through this program, you will:
- improve on your 6.5 or 7.0 IELTS or equivalent language score and study the language of the law in a small group, law-focused environment
- perfect grammar and structure in your writing
- work with legal terminology and documents necessary for successful LLM study
- practice your professional speaking and presentation skills
Who is this Program for?
If you’re an internationally trained law graduate and are interested in improving your language skills with an intention to either pursue graduate legal studies, undertake the process of accreditation to practise, or are seeking legal employment in Canada, this program will help you reach your professional development goal.
This full-time program runs from late August until mid-December each year. You’ll participate in four hours of class each day, five days per week. Class size is generally between 15 and 20 students and are led by one or two YUELI instructors. You’ll get regular feedback from a law instructor and hear from guest speakers on a variety of legal topics.
This program is open to graduates of law degree programs from outside Canada who have an English language proficiency test score of at least 6.5 IELTS or its equivalent. As part of your application, you’re required to provide the following:
- copy of language proficiency test results
- copy of law degree transcripts and any post law degree transcripts
- current resume
- personal statement explaining why you wish to join our program and how it will benefit you (500 words maximum)
Plus applicable taxes. Fees include required course textbooks and materials. Fees are due in full prior to enrollment in classes. Fees may change without notice.