Admissions to LLM specializations at OsgoodePD are competitive. The OsgoodePD Admissions Committee review each applicant’s file taking into consideration an individual’s academic background, professional work experience and ‘fit’ for the program. The information detailed below represents the minimum admissions requirements for graduate degree programs – meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission.
If you’re interested in Single Course Enrollment applications, you can find them here.
|Specialization||Degree Type||Minimum Grade Point Average|
|Canadian Common Law||Degree in law from outside of Canada
OR a Bachelor of Civil Law from a Canadian University
|Overall B (75%) average (or equivalent)
The OsgoodePD Admissions Committee will consider applicants with a lower GPA provided they have 5 years or more of relevant professional experience.
|General Law||LLB or JD Degree Required|
|All other Specializations||LLB or JD Degree
OR Strong academic record (Masters Degree Preferred) + Significant related professional experience
If English is not your first language, you must supply proof of language proficiency. You may be exempted from this requirement if you have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the only official language of instruction.
Language Proficiency Requirements for All Specializations (Excluding International Business Law)
|Test Type||Test Score||Website|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Paper Based||625 (with minimum of 5 on TWE)||TOEFL firstname.lastname@example.org|
|TOEFL – Computer Based||263||TOEFL email@example.com|
|TOEFL – iBT (Internet Based)||102-109||TOEFL firstname.lastname@example.org|
|IELTS||7.5 overall and 7.0 in reading and writing||IELTS email@example.com|
|YELT – York English Language Test||Band 1||YELT firstname.lastname@example.org|
|YUELI – York University English Language Institute||Level 9 with Distinction||YUELI email@example.com|
Language Proficiency Requirements for International Business Law
|Test Type||Test Score||Website|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Paper Based||600 (with minimum of 5 on TWE)||TOEFL firstname.lastname@example.org|
|TOEFL – Computer Based||250||TOEFL email@example.com|
|TOEFL – iBT (Internet Based)||94-101||TOEFL firstname.lastname@example.org|
|YELT – York English Language Test||Band 3||YELT email@example.com|
|YUELI – York University English Language Institute||Level 9 with Honours||YUELI firstname.lastname@example.org|
Required Application Documents
The application documents listed represent the minimum requirements for graduate degree programs – submitting these documents does not guarantee admission. For detailed instructions on submitting application documents, head to our How to Apply page.
> Current Resume / CV
- If you have been called to the bar please indicate the year and jurisdiction
> Writing Sample
- An academic or professional piece of written work that demonstrates your academic writing ability – critical thinking, research, analysis of at least 5 pages;
- If you are submitting a longer document (i.e. a dissertation) submit an excerpt of approximately 20 pages;
- If you don’t have a suitable writing sample write a brief analytical comment on a legal topic that is of interest to you (preferably related to the specialization of which you’ve applied)
> Two References
- References may be academic or professional. You can either provide your referee details via in Myfile, and a reference form will be sent to them via e-mail or you can give them our Recommendation Form – Recommendation forms must be sent directly from the referee
> The LLM Supplementary Form
- Complete our Supplementary Form (we’ll e-mail you a link along with your student number)
> Proof of English Language Proficiency (if required – see Admissions Requirements for more information)