DUFF WARING (BA, MA, LLB, PhD) is a philosopher/lawyer who specialized in mental health law and psychiatric patient advocacy. He began doctoral studies in philosophy at York University in 1996 with a focus on ethics, political theory and bioethics. He held a post-doctoral fellowship during 2001-2002 with the Biomedical Ethics Unit in the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. He was a Research Associate from 2002-2004 with the Health Law and Policy Group in the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Research Areas: Ethics, bioethics (patient selection for scarce lifesaving resources, research ethics, risk assessment of new biomedical technologies), philosophy of medicine (particularly psychiatry), political philosophy.
Recent Publications (last 4 years only): Dr. Duff R. Waring
Scholarly books authored:
Waring, Duff. Medical Benefit and the Human Lottery: An Egalitarian Approach to Patient Selection. Dordrecht, The Netherlands and New York: Springer, 2004. 222 pages.
Scholarly books edited:
Lemmens, Trudo and Waring, Duff (eds.). Law and Ethics in Biomedical Research: Regulation, Conflict of Interest and Liability. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006. 267 pages.
Chapters in books:
1. Waring, Duff. “Clinical Equipoise and the Assessment of Acceptable Therapeutic Risk.” Forthcoming in The Ethical Aspects of Technological Risk. Eds. Sabine Roeser and Lotte Asveld. London: Earthscan Publications Ltd., 2008. 105-138.
2. Waring, Duff. and Glass, Kathleen Cranley. “Legal Liability for Harm to Research Participants: The Case of Placebo-Controlled Trials.” Law and Ethics in Biomedical Research: Regulation, Conflict of Interest and Liability. Eds. Trudo Lemmens and Duff Waring. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006. 206-227.
3. Waring, Duff. and Lemmens, Trudo. “Integrating Values in Risk Analysis of Biomedical Research: The Case for Regulatory and Law Reform.” Law and Risk. Ed. The Law Commission of Canada. Vancouver and Toronto: UBC Press, 2005. At 156-200. 156-200.
4. French Translation:
“Intégration des valeurs dans l’évaluation du risque lié à la recherche biomédicale: arguments en faveur d’une réforme de la réglementation et du droit.” Le Droit et le Risque. Sous la Direction de la Commission du Droit du Canada. Saint-Nicolas, Quebec: Les Presses De L’Universite Laval, 2006. 233-303.
Papers in Refereed Journals:
1. Waring, Duff. “The Antidepressant Debate and the Balanced Placebo Trial Design: An Ethical Analysis.” The International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 31, no. 6 (2008): 453-462.
2. Waring, Duff. “The Antidepressant Debate and Ethically Defensible Placebo-Controlled Trials.” IRB: Ethics and Human Research 30, no. 6 (2008): 12-16.
3. Waring, Duff and Glass, Kathleen Cranley. “The Physician/Investigator’s Obligation to Patients Participating in Research: The Case of Placebo Controlled Trials.” The Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 33, no. 3 (2005): 575-585.